Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Recession Ahead

When I first heard the word "LAY OFF", I didn't think that as a subsitute word of sacking. Similarly I learned a few more new words like Pink Slip (a cool phrase for the letter you get when you are thrown out of job), PIP (an abbreviation for performance improvement program....which means "U R DONE....u get, may be, a weeks time!") and the best word so far...RECESSION(that means the market is down, u gonna loose your job, high inflation etc etc).


It is said that India will be one country which will be slightly protected from recession (whatever the reason may be), with half the working population under a lay off threat, I hardly can believe that statement.

What Recession means to me??

I won't be doing any credit card shopping, i won't be taking any bank loans....Not because I have been advised by so many fwdd mails, but am not sure of repaying them...incase I no longer have a job. For me, it doesn't really matter as to how the economy is going up or down, all I can understand is my job is at stake. But the problem with me is that I have no other option but for this job.

I never aspired to be a Software Engineer except for one situation (infact a game..) when I was asked to think of 5 professions where I could be possible in. Regardless of whatever I thought in the past, I am what I am now. Getting into the industry is one of the easiest thing in the world, but to be in the field with the same vigour and enthu is something like Mission Impossible. Particularly, in the time of recession, everyone is regretting their decision of choosing software instead of what they studied in Engineering.


But not me...Apart from the big reason that I had no other option(I wasn't offered any other job after graduation). It was really a hardship to get through engineering. Actually I am so thankful to my University and all those teachers(Gods and Godesses) who evaluated my test sheets for making me pass everytime. I used to have atleast 2 papers each semester where I would get 40 percent which actually means that they have moderated marks to make me pass those papers :-)

And that is how I managed to attend almost all the campus interviews and finally I got through to my Company. Whatever it is I am happy for whatever I am earning now and also for the work I am not doing here everyday. And if I do loose the job that would mean that my Company gonna miss some real "coding talent".

1 Scribbled Back:

Janit said...

Nice one..Dunno about the "coding talent" part, but you do have "writing talent"