Thursday, January 30, 2014

Ananya's Spirituality

Growing up a child is a really big thing. And very hard too. For days you ask her to say chichi when she intends to pee and then one day she starts saying chichi right after peeing, you feel that your efforts have not gone in vain. You are so..o happy.

Have you heard of this? When new-borns smile in their sleep, it is said that God had secretly whispered some joke in their ears and that's why they are smiling. Such a cute thing na. I had started showing Ananya how to pray when she was 4 months old. So every night when we would finally go to our room which is upstairs  I  would ask her to touch the two idols kept on the corners of the staircase and then say her prayers rhymingly.
  Thambaayi..amuthine kaathurakshikane
   sothumuthine kaathurakshikane
   oru kedum koodathe varuthane
   rogam vannaal vegam bedhamaaki tharane
* Oh God, please always save my amuth, please save my sothumuth, let her never have any disease and if she has any disease please cure her as fast as possbile*

I dont remember when she started understanding these words. One day she started smiling when she heard these prayers. And then when I made her to hold her palms together, she held it together until the end of the prayer. She has been doing it ever since.

Today Ananya 'prays' everytime she sees lamps or portraits of Gods. And she never gets tired of it. She even reminds me to touch those idols in the staircase lest I forget it. And I found out that almost all the kids react in a similar fashion to "Gods". Maybe today they don't understand the meaning of Spiritualiy but they are the only ones who turn to God with the same purity everytime. They really love God. We, adults, have a lot to learn from them. Isn't it?



P.S. :-I really thought that I would be writing my first fiction as the next post. But it seems that fiction is not my cup of tea.

4 Scribbled Back:

Red Handed said...

I used to chant hymns as a child. Dint knw the meaning. Just used to coz it was taught to me. I still sy the same good nightprayer I was taught as a kid. :P
this is an adorable post!

Anita Jeyan said...

Aww...adorable!

Anonymous said...

Great dear. Expecting more posts from you.

Uma Anandane said...

Very true ! My kids also imitate whatever I do in pooja...and cute ananya:)