Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Because We Are Women

"Because women's work is never done and is underpaid or unpaid or boring or repititious and we're the first to get fired and what we look like is more important than what we do and if we get raped it's our fault and if we get beaten we must have provoked it and if we raise our voices we're nagging bitches and if we enjoy sex we're nymphos and if we don't we're frigid and if we love women it's because we can't get a real "real" man and if we ask our doctor too many questions we're neurotic and/or pushy and if we expect childcare we're selfish and if we stand up for our rights we're aggressive and "unfeminine" and if we don't we're typical weak females and if we want to get married we're out to trap a man and if we don't we're unnatural andbecause we still can't get an adequate safe contraceptive but men can walk on the moon and if we can't cope or don't want pregnancy we're made to feel guilty about abortion and... for lots of other reasons we are part of the women's liberation movement."
Written by some unknown author in an international conference, I feel, these have been the most powerful words I have ever come across about the movement. I am not here to accuse all the males on earth for being all those stated above, but it's for sure that every woman has come across each of these people at certain points of time.

A fellow colleague who nags about his female TL for delegating work. The same person working under a male TL who dumps work on him doesn't attract the same kind of attention. A mistake in his fellow female colleague is blown out of proportion than a male colleague.

Rapists walk in the streets head held high, while rape victims are cornered, verbally molested again and again by the society.

You get harrassed in public for questioning a male who had harrassed you in a bus. You get beaten in a bus for asking the change back from the conductor. You get pinched in the back when you go for a movie or travel in a bus.

You're expected not to react.

We call them chauvinist pigs, but who makes them chauvinists?? The mother who asks her girl child to wash her soiled plates and also of her brother. The mother who doesn't let his son wash his clothes. The aunty who constantly reminds a girl that "patni ki jagah pati ke charno mein hain". The woman who is the first one to shout at a rape victim that she's not worthy of living in the world. WE make them chauvinists and we complain against them.

I might as well have been one among crores of women who get silently pinched, harrassed and believe that it was fault and fate. But I always chose to react eventhough it is in the minutest of the minute character.

I might as well have written a blog about some funny stuff but the fact that I'm in the so called "God's own country" and the backseater-pinchers are aplenty put me to think and write about it. Highest literacy rate? Maybe also has the highest registered and unregistered eve-teasing cases. On my first journey from Hyd to Palakkad, I had to take a KSRTC bus from Cbe to Palakkad. While I was getting down the bus, somebody welcomed me back to Kerala by trying my butt. And my thoughts-  if this butt was a removable one, I would have definitely gifted it to that unknown person, if it could satisfy his sexual tendencies even for a few days.

Yeah I'm saying it, don't go by the tag lines, Kerala could be the worst place you visit if you're not of a hi-fi class. It's devil's residence. And I hate to be proud of Kerala.

Female infanticide?? There was a time when I used to sympathise those unborn female babies. Not anymore. Atleast they don't have to see this big bad world which don't know how to respect a woman, they won't be molested, they won't be harrassed for being a girl.

P.S. :-  I still don't understand the meaning of feminism and hence I'm not a feminist. I'm a humanitarian.

P.P.S :- This is my 50th post. Happy 50 bloggy baby!!

4 Scribbled Back:

Blunt Edges said...

ooooohhh...communi is very angry!

a very powerful post...n its not about whether i agree with u or not, its more about the conviction with which u wrote this...honest n hard-hitting! i like it.

"I hate to be proud of Kerala" some line that!

n a wery happy 50 to the blog...its been an absolute pleasure reading u :)

BK Chowla, said...

Very hard hitting post.
But, I dont tend to agree with you.
Times have changed.

COMMUNI said...

@BE

you know some days can be just like this. you don't feel good unless you throw off wat's inside your head. And when it is accompanied with such incidents, Communi wouldn't be the lone person to get angry.

And thank you for the wishes

COMMUNI said...

@Chowla

I understand that times have changed and I have witnessed that too. Having lived in 2 big cities for more than a year, I cannot single out any occassion where I felt bad for myself. But after coming back home, when you find that this place still is a decade or two ago in terms of giving respect to women, I cannot but vent out my feelings here.

And about the office situation, I have seen that happening in my office- an IT office.

My intention was not to hurt anyone because I'm thankful to so many men around me, for making me understand what equality means. I have seen gem of a person here. But my rage is against that pseudo-moral-soceity.