Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Drawing Hall memories

Post JMET (for non-MBA aspirants lemme tell you that this is a competitive exam conducted by the IITs for their PGDM course and only Engineering graduates can apply. Eventhough, it narrows down the number of aspirants, I'm still skeptical of my capabilities both as an Engineer and an MBA-aspirant), where I was allotted into a drawing hall to write the exam, I have been trying to recollect all my memories related to Drawing Hall. Since I have not been into many colleges (colleges where I write exams don't count in here coz who's got the time to explore the college then! ), I really don't know if non-engg colleges have a drawing hall, but we at NSS proudly had 4 big drawing halls(read now onwards as DH). Being Electricals, we normally had our drawing class (it sounds funny, still reminds me of the drawing class at school) at D1 and D2.









The very first competitive exam I wrote was the AIEEE at some engineering college in Cbe itself. It was then that I came to know the existence of DH. I, being a mere 5' 1", had to literally climb to sit on what looked like a KBC hot seat. And there it was a big board, which was mounted horizontally on a four-legged stand. Even when I was having a horrendous time writing the test, I couldn't help wondering what was the actual purpose of such a large board for an Engr. Silly me, I know. Honestly, then I never knew who an engr was except for a civil engineer.

The next encounter was of course the graphics classes of the first year. Must say, carrying that mini-drafter to college was more than a proud moment. The fact that I was the first ever engg student of our colony only added to my pride. Lets push aside the fact that our colony was just old as me with only 2 or 3 buddies who were elder to me. Anyways, thanks to Suresh Sir, who took the fundamentals of graphics with such fine detail that it created a strong basic of drawing amongst all of us. At the first look, Suresh Sir was a true mech, good-looking, the only problem being his height. Most of the girls equalled him. But any thought of mouthlooking him was trashed into the bin when I saw him smoke in the campus.(Btw I really hate guys who smoke, aleast those who smoke in my presence). By the middle of the academic year, we got a new lecturer but his classes weren't as impressive as Suresh Sir's class. Eventhough we first laughed on the fact that our new lecturer was doing M.Tech at IIT and he had arrears on graphics itself, but then as they say, you learn more of a subject when you have arrears of the same. Guess what, that's why I learned nothing through out my 4 years of Engg.

Besides D1-D2 posing only as drawing halls, it was the favourite examination halls of many teachers and many students. The boards are so far placed that there's very little chance for the students to pass the answer sheet without being caught. But somehow many of the boys still managed to pass the sheets and copy while I never managed to do that. The only thing we frigging creatures would do was to write notes on the drawing boards. Sometimes you had to carry razor to clear off some parts of the board because they had been written on by many amaeturs before you. No wonder, we always used to turn up early for the exam at a DH.

DH was also a favorite venue for many celebrations. Christmas celebrations in particular. Well, I don't have any good memories of having a Christmas friend. The first time it was a north-eastern guy, who gave a card and chocolates, fair enough. But the next time, Velli gave me 1 kg rice and some vegetables only because they saw me buying vegetables from a shop and carrying that back home! Well the only reason why I never saw them doing the same is that they were all hostlers and I was a day-sche. But must say, the guys who brought me that rice would really suck at cooking. It was the worst rice I ever tasted so much so that Amma (who is infamous for her non-humorous nature) commented that they would've got the rice directly from FCI. Lol.
(Ok Velli, here is my revenge. The word "Velli" is used by musicians for the awkward sound thats gets out of your throat when you sing improperly. More appropriately, he was named so because it takes a lot of time for things to Click for him. And then he was "doubter" of our class. I still donno how he used to come up with doubts on utterly boring lectures too).

While the lovers of our campus had some favorite places like the Banyan tree near the bus bay and our Sania Mirza tree, D1-D2 was also a very cozy place for them. Many such lovers have been caught red-handed. Well it happens in every college, I guess.

Our college, it was more of a sanctuary. Cows, goats, dogs, puppies were all part of the campus. Sometimes you literally had to give way for them. When you're in a Govt college, all these come as a bonus, you know.

4 Scribbled Back:

Lakshmi said...

Good post... So how was JMET ??? U studied @ NSS??? Cool... :D

COMMUNI said...

JMET was better than CAT, considering the fact that it's not online.
I was expecting some calulus, differentiation-integration probs, I took the pain to get my old engg maths books from an old shelf and dusting it off. Eventhough those questions dint come, I'm still suffering from the dust allergy and the cold that followed it ;)

buckingfastard said...

wats it wid girls nd young profs...u r bound to be in awe of dem...

chii cheating...seriosly its a bad habit....u shudnt cheat frm frnds...dey r sometime wrong..

better microxerox or write down ur own chits...trusted source :)

u used to do shopping on way back frm college :O

see u alredy hav ideal bahu character traits in u!!!

COMMUNI said...

@BF:

*I donno why it happens but you will have to agree on the fact there is more chance of a girl ogling a prof than a boy...maybe because of the age constraints plus more chance of having good-looking male profs than female profs

*Yeah I know friends' answers could be sometimes wrong, thats why I used to write the notes directly from my texts onto the drawing boards.

* Once my mother caught my brother red-handed with chits, after that i have never tried that trick.

* hey, thanks for the compliment. I'll give the credit to my brother who is so much lazy that I have no other go but to shop.